Welcome to Domotique-fibaro

Inscrivez-vous maintenant pour accéder à toutes nos fonctionnalités. Une fois inscrit et connecté, vous serez en mesure de contribuer à ce site en soumettant votre propre contenu ou en répondant au contenu existant. Vous serez en mesure de personnaliser votre profil, de recevoir des points de réputation comme une récompense pour la soumission de contenu, tout en communiquant avec d'autres membres via votre boîte de réception privée, et bien plus encore! Ce message sera supprimé une fois que vous vous êtes connecté.

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

TheItalianJob

Hc2 Usb Key Corrupted

49 messages dans ce sujet

Yes this is a strange process because Fibaro use the Recovery key as a protection key. It sucks.... because this usb key, which is presented as a way to protect your investment on their website, is in reality not for the benefit of the customer, but only for Fibaro to protect  their work.

In your case, the normal process is to send back the HC2 to them in Poland. Which cost around 100€ using DHL, as requested in the RMA.

I told you that it won't be easy to recover a corrupted HC2 box.

It took me hours and hours to understand only a small part of the security protection.

The LAN cable won't help you, because it is not your problem.

We saw that your USB Recovery key is damaged (read-only) and that your running system is corrupted (many error messages).

So you must first recreate a new USB key, and try to launch a recovery using both USB key (the original one is used for the serial number protection, and the new one is used to recover you system).

I am not sure of the success of this operation, but if it is OK, you will get at least a running HC2 system, accessible through the network using a DHCP address.

If not, there is still a lot of work to do to create a new key......

Ok I'm ready for the next step...

I've downloaded the zip of 2.4 gb

now?

extract the zip

then use dd to write the image to you new usb key

under linux, it should look like this example :

dd if=/path/to/file of=/dev/sdb bs=1M

After one our the result of the dd command is this but I think there's a problem....  a view from ubuntu and another from osx (empty folders)

Schermata_2016_01_15_alle_16_57_01.png

Schermata_2016_01_15_alle_16_52_54.png

I've succesfully recovered my HC2 with only the new USB key inserted. Now the version is 4.053

But why I've recovered succesfully the HC without the original key?

Can I try to recover image on original key?

Schermata_2016_01_15_alle_20_00_22.png

Your previous screenshots showing the content of the key are strange.... but I am not used the graphical interfaces, I only use text based commands (ls -l)

Anyway, you can boot into Recovery, so it means that your new key is OK, but take care that your recovery is not fully done : because you plugged only the new key (and not the original one), the Z-Wave chip has not been cleared, and you might have trouble later when including new Z-Wave devices, because the Z-Wave chip inside the HC2 has still the memory of the old devices of the previous owner.

I highly suggest that you run a new recovery, using both USB keys.

I've made a backup of original key with dd (with skip errors)

@Lazer  can I try to use the same image (2.4 Gb) on the original key with dd command?

I think it won't work, remember that you original key is write protected (read only). It is a firmware bug.

Hello,

i have the same problem- looks like my USB stick is damaged (as far as I can tell and as per what Fibaro support are telling me); they asked me to send the box back to poland but I don't want to do that.  Here are my problems with the above, so far.

- The file is on google drive so everytime my connection blinks I Ihave to start downloading all over again- is there any other link for the file that supports resume?

- On mac (I don't have a linux system or a PC), what do I do with the downloaded file.

Many thanks for the help in advance.

Regards

- As far as I know, this link to the image file on Google Drive is the only one. Maybe you can try to find another place equiped with a better Internet connection to download the file, for example at work or at a friend's home.

- I am not a Mac user, but I know that you can use the "dd" command, as on LInux. Or you may do a quick search to find some graphical tool equivalent to Win32DiskImager.

Thanks- just called a friend to download the file for me; should have it with me later on today.

Can you give me the exact instructions for the dd command and what to do exactly

Hello,

Here are the mac instructions (I think) for the dd command for anyone who might need them:

Instructions:
1.Download the .iso file. This also can be an .img file or a .dmg file
2.Rename the .iso file to .dmg. 

3.Right-click on the .dmg file and select Get Info. Write down the full path name as mentioned in the dialog box. We will need that for step 9.

4.Start a Terminal window. The Terminal application is located in the folder /Applications/Utilities/ of your Macintosh HD volume.
5.In the Terminal window, type:
diskutil list
and press the Enter key. Now a list of your storage devices is displayed in the Terminal window, underneath what you typed earlier.
6.Put the USB stick in the USB port of your Mac.
7.In the Terminal window, type again:
diskutil list
and press the Enter key. Now you see the same list, but with an extra storage device. The location of that device has the format /dev/diskN, where N is a number. In my case it was /dev/disk1. Write that down.
8.In Terminal, type
diskutil unmountDisk /dev/diskN
and press the Enter key. Use the N from step 7. This will unmount the USB stick (it will disappear from your desktop).
9.In Terminal, type
sudo dd if=/path/to/file.dmg of=/dev/diskN bs=1m
and press the Enter key, where /path/to/file.dmg is the full path from step 3, and /dev/diskN from step 7. You will be asked to enter a password. This is why you must be logged in as an administrator, a non-administrator does not have to privileges to perform this operation. This operation takes quite a while (seconds in my case). Be patient and let it do its thing.
10.In Terminal, type
diskutil eject /dev/diskN
and press the Enter key. Again N is the number we established in step 7.
11. you are done

I'm trying this now with the downloaded image and will send an update if it works (I hope it does)!

Hello,

I've created an image on a new USB stick but the HC2 still isn't booting in recovery mode- all LEDs are lit and it just stays that way.  If I try to reboot normally, it loads up but I get Server Unavailable when I try to log on to it.

Any suggestions?

You can't write the image to a new USB stick, because the serial number of the original stick is hard coded into the HC2 daughter card (connected to motherboard). Si it won't work.

You have to write the ISO image onto the original USB Stick. Before doing so, take care to backup the content of the 'backups' directory located in the FAT32 partition, then copy it back to the USB stick after writing the ISO image.

Hi!

I came across this thread, and found much useful info regarding corrupt recovery key. I'm in the same situation, however, the flash cells on my usb stick is toast. 

Fortunately I have a backup image of the usb stick from before it went corrupt, but when I try to write it back to the stick, I get input/output error quite quickly.

I spent some time looking at the security mechanism, and since the serial number check also resides inside a binary file, I will need to come up with a smart plan. 

Would it be possible to flash a new usb stick with the name and serialnumber of the old recovery usb? 

I'm quite proficient with linux, but I have not seen any software capable of flashing usb firmware yet.

That is correct, the serial number is not located on the flash memory, but in the device firmware.

Only a few USB stick can be reprogrammed with the correct manufacturer and serial number. Some tools exists, but as far as I know, they only run on Windows.

Yeah, I have spent some time now trying to flash some USB sticks via Virtualbox. So far, one is completely dead, and one is somewhat bricked.

I will find a solution, not spending €100 on shipping to Poland. usbdev.ru has some useful info, unfortunately it's in Russian, and google translate just makes it confusing.

@Lazer: Have you flashed USB sticks yourself? If so, any tips on brand?  

Yes I have flashed some sticks, sometimes with success, sometimes without.

You should have a look at your private messages ;)

Hello,

Does anyone have and can provide a copy of the internal USB key image from the HC2? Or, perhaps a link to the image. 

Thanks

Mike

Modifié par papa123

Thanks Lazer!

I know about these images. They appear to be the external recovery key images. I am interested in the internal USB drive with the system files.

I've read your conversation about the internal image in the French forum, and about replacing the USB drive with an SSD. Suddenly the discussion changed and there was no follow-up. I got my hands on a unit that is missing the internal drive and would like to recover it.  

Thanks.

Sorry I didn't noticed you were talking about the internal drive.

As far as I know, there is no share image of this drive, and you don't realy need it, since every recovery fully rewrite the content of this drive.

So you only need a valid external USB Recovery Drive to be able to generate a new internal USB drive.

It is not possible to replace the internal drive by a SSD or anything else, because Fibaro use a security mechanism to associate the serial number of both the external and the internal drives into the eeprom of the daughter card.

If your new HC2 has no internal drive, I am affraid that you won't be able to use it.

A forum member had the same experience, and he was able to get an RMA from Fibaro, send his box to Poland, and got it returned with a new USB stick. You can try, there is a litle hope...

Hi Lazer,

Good feedback!

Not sure that everything is correct about the security. I am able to actually run the server with a recovery image restored on a USB drive. In fact everything one needs is on the recovery drive. All one has to do is to extract the appropriate image from the recovery disk and burn it on another USB disk. The system's protection reside on how the system is booting and how the paths related to the drivers and configuration files are loaded. There are some encrypted files that are not really relevant to the functionality of the system in it's entirely.

I need the directory and file structure of the internal image and see if I can reconstruct it from the recovery key.